On September 9th 2019, our sister city of Tateyama in Japan was hit by a deadly and devastating Typhoon, Faxai, which was the 15th Typhoon of this season. Read more about its impact here.
We are happy, however, to report the two marathon runners from Tateyama will still be coming to Bellingham for the race this last weekend in September. The public is in invited to join our Mayor Linville meet them and show our support at Bellingham City Hall (210 Lottie St.) on Friday, September 27 at 12:30 pm.
Please join us in showing support for Tateyama and wishing them a quick recovery. We have created a flag for the community to sign with well-wishes for our sister city.
We will be bringing the flag around to some community events over the next two weeks for Bellingham community members to sign and show their support for our Sister City.
Here is the schedule of locations the flag will be available at:
- Thursday 09/19: BBay Running
- Monday 9/23 until Tuesday 9/24 9 am: City hall (210 Lottie street).
- Tuesday 9/24 10 am – 5 pm & Wednesday 9/25 11 am – 3 pm: Whatcom Community College Syre Student Center
- Wednesday 9/25 5:00 pm through Tuesday 9/26 4 pm: Bellingham Library
- Thursday 09/26 5 pm – 8 pm: BBay Running
- Friday 09/27 8 am – 11 am: Bellingham High School (open to students and staff only)
- Friday 09/27 12 pm – 5 pm: City Hall (210 Lottie street)
- Saturday 09/28 12 pm – 6 pm: Bellingham Bay Marathon Race Expo at Bellingham Cruise Terminal
The flag will then return to Tateyama with our two visiting runners on Monday 09/30 at a private farewell party.
We hope you will join us in this show of support.